Handcrafted Gunungan Colorful Parchment Shadow Puppet, "Gunungan"
This item is available for backorder and will ship within 2 to 8 weeks. Read more
This item is available for pre-order and will ship within 2 to 8 weeks. Read more
Mujiyono of Java designs this exquisite handcrafted traditional Indonesian wayang kulit, shadow puppet made of perforated, elaborately painted leather. Such puppets were used in nighttime performances, usually on such important occasions as birthdays or anniversaries. This puppet is Gunungan, which means "mountain," and is used to mark the beginning and end of the production and transitions between scenes. Made of leather parchment, the puppet is perforated to allow intricate designs to be revealed when shadows are cast, and painstakingly painted with extraordinary detail. The puppet is attached to a buffalo horn rod and comes with a round wood display base, which is detached for shipping.
- 0.16 kgs
- 0.4 lbs
- Puppet: 34.5 cm H x 12 cm W x 1 cm D
- Puppet: 13.5" H x 4.7" W x 0.4" D
- Base: 4.5 cm H x 7 cm Diam.
- Base: 1.8" H x 2.8" Diam.
- Leather, buffalo horn, Wadang wood
- Display stand included
- Some assembly required
- Not a toy. Not intended for use by children age 12 or under.
- Hand-crafted item -- color, size and/or motif may vary slightly
- Intended for display on a tabletop or other flat surface
- Free Gift Wrap? Yes
- Premium Gift Wrap? Yes
- Made in Indonesia.
- Certified and shipped by our office in Bali and Java
"These are now displayed in my curio cabinet."
I bought 2 of these Gunungan. Very beautiful, intricate detail perforated leather and painstakingly painted. It?s sure an eye catching display, to add to my shadow puppet (wayang puppet) theatre in my curio cabinet. I am originally from Indonesia, and had never seen such a beautiful Gunungan like the one made by Mujiyono.
Was This Review Helpful?